The popular song “I left my heart in San Francisco” seems just right for those who long to return to this gorgeous city on the bay in Northern California. For instance, a long weekend in San Francisco is a perfect mini-vacation for a single person, a couple or a family because there’s so much to see and do in this magical city that is tops when it comes to navigating around town by local public transport, renting a bike or walking up and down the city’s hilly streets. If you need a place to stay in the amazing city check out HostelBookers.com.
San Francisco is all about discovery
A typical visitor itinerary – for having a real blast in this city by the bay – includes these suggestions offered by San Francisco locals:
– Get a cable car pass and enjoying riding up and down the city’s distinct neighborhoods, including the famed Chinatown that really says you are in San Francisco.
Image source Chinatown: bigberto
– While riding the cable car in Chinatown, look for the Fortune Cookie Factory for a fun family visit or take a hike around the butterfly garden at the Yerba Buena Gardens with its interesting carousel and bowling center.
– Visit the rooftop area at the Zeum Children’s Museum where young people can create their own music video, clay animation or other art that says you’re in colorful San Francisco.
– Jump on the boat tour around the legendary Alcatraz Island. This narrated tour features lots of interesting stories about the prison and local ghosts.
– After playing all day in town, check out one of the many romantic restaurants or relaxing cafes or bars in town.
Image source Union Source: 26349479@N07
– The area of San Francisco called “Union Square” is also great for checking out the local nightlife with lots of great hotel bars and fun pubs to explore.
In general, a weekend getaway in San Francisco is all about being flexible so one can discover those special places that you will not soon forget.
Great family deals in San Francisco
For a family on a budget, the economical and very flexible “Go San Francisco Card” is a super deal because it allows you to manage your sightseeing. For instance, you can use this card – that costs about $50 – for as much or as little sightseeing as you desire. The card features a “free admission” to most top city attractions.
A family visiting San Francisco for the first time – using their Go San Francisco Card – stated they visited all of these museums for free: the Asian Art Museum, Beat Museum, the Wax Museum at Fisherman’s Wharf, the Cartoon Art Museum, the Charles M. Schulz Museum and the California Academy of Sciences.
Enjoy the city by the bay in a different light
Image source Golden Gate Bridge: salim
Another aspect of a visiting San Francisco for a weekend getaway is discovering the Golden Gate Bridge and Bay via taking a cruise. For example, there is a very visitor friendly Golden Gate Bay cruise that only takes an hour while offering a perfect postcard view of the city and its fascinating surroundings.
Moreover, the Aquarium of the Bay is a perfect place to check out the diverse aquatic life after your bay cruise of the surrounding Pacific Ocean and numerous waterways.
Overall, the best way to get the most out of your San Francisco getaway is to “stay cool,” remarks one local. In other words, don’t allow yourself to get stressed because this city has so many great places to visit and explore. After all, you can return again and again because you’ve left your heart in San Francisco.
BTW, the sad sad sad featured photo is, like the ONLY immediately retrievable photo of me in San Francisco – when I was there last — when I was 7 years old. Damn boy, that’s a loooong time to be away from a city.
This is a guest post from our friends over at Hostelbookers.